the personal request of the Honorable U Nu, Prime Minister,
and Thado Thiri Thudhamma Sir U Thwin, President of
the Buddha Sasananuggaha Association, the Venerable
Mahasi Sayadaw, Bhadanta Sobhana Mahathera, came down
from Shwebo to Rangoon on 10th November 1949. The Meditation
Centre at the Thathana Yeiktha, Hermitage Road, Rangoon,
was formally opened on 4th December 1949, when the Mahasi
Sayadaw began to give to fifteen devotees a methodical
training in the right system of Satipatthana Vipassana.
the first day of the opening of the Centre a discourse
on the exposition of Satipatthana Vipassana, its purpose,
the method of practice, the benefits derived therefrom,
etc., has been given daily to each batch of devotees
arriving at the Centre almost everyday to undertake
the intensive course of training. The discourse lasts
usually for one hour and thirty minutes, and the task
of talking almost daily in this manner inevitably caused
a strain. Fortunately, the Buddha Sasananuggaha Association
came forward to relieve the situation with an offer
of the donation of a tape-recorder, and the discourse
given on 27th July 1951 to a group of fifteen devotees
undertaking the training was taped. Thereafter this
taped discourse has been in constant daily use preceded
by a few preliminary remarks spoken by the Mahasi Sayadaw.
owing to the great demand of many branch meditation
centers of the Mahasi Satipatthana Vipassana, as well
as of the public, this discourse was published in book
form in 1954. The book has now run into its sixth edition.
As there is also a keen interest and eager demand among
many devotees of other nationalities who are unacquainted
with Burmese, the discourse is now translated into English.
Pe Thin (translator)